Media Awards 2018
Objective of the Award
To recognize a journalist who has demonstrated excellence in raising public awareness of Ontario midwives, midwifery issues and midwives’ contributions to the health-care system in Ontario via print, radio and/or television media and/or web-based media.
One entry per journalist may be submitted for consideration if it meets the following requirements:
- The work deals with the subject of Ontario midwives or midwifery.
- The work has been published, distributed, produced or aired by an Ontario media outlet between January 1, 2017 and December 15, 2017.
- The work is aimed at the general public, and not published in a trade or specialty publication.
- Work that was originally written, broadcast or produced in a language other than English is welcomed. A translation into English must accompany the submission.
- Current AOM Board and AOM staff members are ineligible to receive this award.
Criteria for the Award
- Story provides relevant information about events affecting Ontario midwives/midwifery issues (25 marks)
- Story has the potential to positively influence public attitudes about midwifery (25 marks)
- Story demonstrates accuracy in portraying midwifery in the context of women’s health (25 marks)
- Story includes a quality of writing/reporting that is sensitive to midwives’ and midwifery clients’ perspective (25 marks)
AOM communications staff will select up to six pieces that they feel are most worthy of consideration for this award per year. They will complete and submit nomination for consideration by the Leadership Development Committee (LDC). The Committee will then recommend an award recipient to the Board of Directors, who will make the final selection. Awards will be presented at the AOM's Gala Award event on May 7, 2018.
Members of the public or media who wish to submit an entry for consideration can send via email to Jill-Marie Burke by December 15, 2017.