Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The purpose of this statement is to express the AOM's values regarding equity and diversity within the Association and to guide the AOM’s work with and on behalf of midwives.
The AOM recognizes the dignity and worth of every person and is committed to creating an environment that is safe, accessible, inclusive and respectful of members, Board members, staff, and the Ontario public.
The AOM recognizes that inequality is maintained by discrimination against and systemic marginalization of people based on, but not exclusive to, ability, age, class, socio-economic status, educational background, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, language, race, religion, reproductive and parenting decisions and sexual orientation.
We are committed to harness our strength in diversity by fostering equity and inclusion through:
- Developing policies, protocols, programs and services that seek to eliminate systemic barriers and promote inclusion in every facet of our work.
- Understanding, accepting and increasing diversity within the Association, staff, and clients of midwifery care.
- Creating opportunities for dialogue and self-reflection and supporting a continued commitment to social justice and anti-oppression principles.
- Seeking out and applying the perspective of those who are marginalized in recognition that they are integral to the processes of assessment and development of equity strategies.
- Respecting and valuing everyone for their contribution, celebrating peoples' differences and providing equality of opportunities for all.
In pursuit of these goals, the AOM adheres to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Approved by the AOM Board: November, 2009