Emergency Skills Workshop (ESW)
Emergency Skills Workshop Recertification
The ESW recertification is a half-day workshop, based on content from the ESW Manual, 6th Edition and includes an online exam.
When you register and pay for an ESW event, the bundled cost includes the:
- ESW workshop
- ESW manual, 6th edition (new digital format)
- Online exam
Once you register for the ESW event, your event registration confirmation contains a link to the ESW manual in a downloadable pdf format. The link to the ESW exam is emailed to you 30 days before the ESW event. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions below for more information.
When you register for the ESW event, remember to log in to receive your AOM member discount.
The ESW recertification is PD Fund Applicable!
The AOM offers up to 18 different Emergency Skills Workshops across the province every year. Find the one closest to you by viewing the Events page, check “ESW” in the left pane to filter your results.
What is the ESW program?
Midwives are required to have specialized skills to deal with emergencies that occur at home and outside of the hospital. The AOM provides the most comprehensive and high-quality, CMO-certified course by and for midwives to stay current in these critical skills. Because many emergencies are rare, practicing skills in a simulated environment via the Emergency Skills Workshop (ESW) is crucial. It is also a mandatory course required to maintain competence as per the College of Midwives of Ontario.
What is covered at the ESW in-person workshop?
The ESW workshop is a half-day recertification workshop that begins with a group presentation that reviews important features of the ESW program and presents notable research related to emergency skills. Participants then break out into smaller groups guided by ESW instructors to review and practice emergency management steps for a number of clinical topics and scenarios. Participants should come prepared to demonstrate their knowledge of emergency management steps for the clinical topics covered in the ESW manual as well as neonatal resuscitation.
Who can attend an ESW workshop?
The AOM ESW is open to registered midwives, midwifery students, second attendants from Ontario, and midwives from other jurisdictions. Non-member fees apply. Limited spots are available to second attendants based on availability and midwife/second attendant ratios.
What is the agenda for my ESW?
The ESW is a half-day recertification workshop. Participants register for either an AM or a PM session. You can access a sample ESW Workshop Agenda for more information.
How do I access the new ESW manual?
When you register and pay for the ESW recertification, the bundled cost includes the ESW recertification, the 6th edition of the ESW manual (new digital format) and the exam. Once you register for the ESW event, your event registration confirmation contains a link to the ESW manual in a downloadable pdf format.
If you reside outside of Canada please visit our shop to purchase a copy of the manual.
How does the ESW exam work?
- The ESW exam is based on the contents of the 6th edition ESW manual (2019).
- Successful completion of the ESW exam is required prior to attending the ESW workshop. On the day of the workshop, be prepared to show your exam completion letter.
- A Litmos exam link is sent to participants 30 days ahead of their ESW event. If registering within 30 days of the ESW event, you will receive your exam link within 1-2 business days. Please check your junk mail if you do not receive the link within this time frame.
- If you do not already have a Litmos account the link will take you through an account set-up so that you can access the exam.
- The ESW exam is open-book.
- You can log into and out of the exam during the 30 day period. It does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- You must receive a grade of 80% or higher to pass.
- Your exam purchase includes two attempts. If you require a third attempt, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (24-48 hour reset delay). There is a $35 exam fee if a third attempt is required.
- Please be aware that once you answer an exam question and click “Next Question”, there is not an opportunity to go back and review/revise your questions.
Support is available during regular business hours (Mon - Fri, 9:00am to 5:00pm).
If you have a question, comment or concern about a question in the exam and your answer, please screenshot the screen and/or write out the complete question and your concern and email: email@example.com.
What if the event is full?
Space is limited so register early. If the workshop is full, you will be placed on a waiting list, and will be notified as soon as a space becomes available. The AOM makes every effort to accommodate a non-member ticket request if space permits.
How do I get a refund or transfer to another ESW?
All refund and transfer requests will be subject to a $50 administrative fee. The fee will increase to $100 if the request is made less than 7 days prior to the workshop. Registration fees are refundable only if a cancellation request is made 30 days or more prior to the workshop date. Refund requests made less than 30 days prior to the workshop date and for "no shows" will only be considered under exceptional circumstances (not births).
Do I have to be off-call?
Midwives registered for the ESW are expected to be OFF call for the entire workshop.
Can I bring my baby or toddler?
Due to the nature of the ESW workshop, children are not permitted; however, those who are breastfeeding/chestfeeding are welcome to do so providing that the breastfeeding/chestfeeding parent also brings a support person to care for their child for the duration of the workshop.
What if the event is canceled by the AOM?
Please note that the AOM reserves the right to cancel an ESW due to insufficient registrations, three weeks prior to the course, in which case registrants will receive a full refund of registration fees paid.
If I need an accommodation, what do I do?
The AOM is committed to providing accommodation to ESW participants with disabilities and ensuring a learning environment that is inclusive and free from barriers.
Individuals requiring accommodation are encouraged to make their request in writing to the AOM's Manager of Events and Corporate Partnerships (ECP), Laura Da Rocha, at least 14 days prior to their scheduled ESW.
Information necessary to understand and respond to the accommodation request should be provided.
If possible, please provide the following:
- Details of the specific accommodation requested or any known special requirements.
- Any past accommodation from an educational institution, employer or service provider.
- Please Note, if there is no history of past accommodation, documentation from an appropriate professional outlining potential accommodation may be requested if necessary to assist in the planning process.
- All accommodation requests will be provided serious consideration. No person will be penalized for making an accommodation request.
Questions? Contact Penny Mungal, Event Coordinator, Events & Corporate Partnerships