Emergency Skills Workshop (ESW)
Emergency Skills Workshop Recertification
The ESW recertification is a half-day workshop, based on content from the ESW Manual, 7th Edition and includes an online exam.
When you register and pay for an ESW event, the bundled cost includes the:
- ESW workshop
- ESW manual, 7th edition (pdf format)
- ESW presentation (reviews the ESW program, highlights important clinical topics in the ESW manual and provides a summary of an important topic related to an obstetric emergency skill)
- Online exam
Once you register for the ESW event, your event registration confirmation contains a link to the ESW manual in a downloadable pdf format. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions below for more information. More questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
When you register for the ESW event, remember to log in to receive your AOM member discount.
The ESW recertification is PD Fund Applicable!
What is the ESW program?
Midwives are required to have specialized skills to deal with emergencies that occur at home and outside of the hospital. The AOM provides the most comprehensive and high-quality, CMO-certified course by and for midwives to stay current in these critical skills. Because many emergencies are rare, practicing skills in a simulated environment via the Emergency Skills Workshop (ESW) is crucial. It is also a mandatory course required to maintain competence as per the College of Midwives of Ontario. The ESW program is a recertification program and participants who wish to participate are required to meet specific eligibility requirements.
Who can attend an ESW recertification?
- Registered midwives and Aboriginal/Indigenous midwives.
- Student midwives can attend if they have previously completed the ESW Basic (or equivalent).
- Second attendants are eligible to participate in the ESW if they are registered health care providers (e.g. nurses, physicians, paramedics).
- If a second attendant is not a registered health care provider and wishes to participate in the ESW, they must request permission to participate and provide additional information to AOM ESW staff.
For questions related to eligibility requirements, please email email@example.com.
What if I can't attend any of the ESW events that are listed on the AOM's ESW events page?
There are different pathways for midwives to access an ESW event. If you are unable to attend any of the upcoming events on the AOM's ESW events page, you can request an ESW in your community. If you would like to do this, please go to the ESW PRN FAQ for more information.
What is covered at the ESW in-person workshop?
The ESW workshop is a half-day in-person recertification workshop. On the day of the event small groups of participants are guided by ESW instructors to review and practice emergency management steps for a number of clinical topics and scenarios. Participants should come prepared to demonstrate their knowledge of emergency management steps for the clinical topics covered in the ESW manual as well as neonatal resuscitation.
What is the agenda for my ESW?
The ESW is a half-day recertification workshop. Participants register for either an AM or PM session. Depending on the number of participants and instructors, the workshop uses two different agendas with different instructor and participant ratios.
Agenda for 3-2 or 3-1 participant to instructor ratio
Agenda for 2-1 participant to instructor ratio
How do I access the new ESW manual?
When you register and pay for the ESW recertification, the bundled cost includes the ESW recertification workshop, the 7th edition of the ESW manual (pdf format), the online ESW presentation and the exam. Once you register for the ESW event, your event registration confirmation contains a link to the ESW manual in a downloadable pdf format.
If you reside outside of Canada please visit the AOM shop to purchase a copy of the manual.
How does the ESW exam work?
- The ESW exam is based on the contents of the 7th edition ESW manual (2021).
- Successful completion of the ESW exam is required prior to attending the ESW workshop.
- Access to the exam is provided 30 days prior to the workshop.
- You can log into and out of the exam during the 30 day period. It does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- The ESW exam is open-book.
- You must receive a grade of 80% or higher to pass.
- Registration for the ESW workshop includes two attempts at the exam. If you require a third attempt, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please be aware that once you answer an exam question and click “Next Question,” there is not an opportunity to go back and review/revise your questions.
Support is available during regular business hours (Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
If you have any feedback about an exam question, please email email@example.com. Be sure to provide the question number or a screenshot of the question along with your feedback.
What if the event is full?
Space is limited so register early. If the workshop is full you can place yourself on the waiting list and you will be notified as soon as a space becomes available.
How do I get a refund or transfer to another ESW?
Registration fees will be fully refunded or transferred only if a cancellation or transfer request is made 30 days or more before the scheduled ESW.
If a cancellation or transfer request is made between 29 and 7 days before the ESW, a $50 administrative fee will be deducted from the refunded or transferred registration fee.
The administrative fee will increase to $100 if the request is made less than 7 days prior to the workshop.
Refund or transfer requests received on the day of the event and for “no shows” will only be considered under exceptional circumstances (not attendance at a birth) and will be subject to a $100 administrative fee.
Do I have to be off call?
Midwives registered for the ESW are expected to be OFF CALL for the entire workshop.
Can I bring my baby or toddler?
Only children who are nursing are permitted at an ESW. Nursing parents who bring their children to an ESW workshop must also bring a support person to care for their children for the duration of the workshop. Children are not allowed into the scenario rooms.
What if the event is cancelled by the AOM?
Please note that the AOM reserves the right to cancel an ESW due to insufficient registrations, in which case registrants will receive a full refund of registration fees paid.
If I need an accommodation, what do I do?
The AOM is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and that is free from barriers. The AOM commits to provide an accommodation to ESW participants with disabilities, while maintaining the overall integrity of the program.
Individuals requiring accommodation are encouraged to make their request in writing to the AOM's Manager of Clinical Knowledge Translation (CKT), Megan Bobier, at least 14 days prior to their scheduled ESW.
Information necessary to understand and respond to the accommodation request should be provided.
If possible, please provide the following:
- Details of the specific accommodation requested or any known special requirements.
- Any past accommodation from an educational institution, employer or service provider.
- Please note: if there is no history of past accommodation, documentation from an appropriate professional outlining potential accommodation may be requested if necessary to assist in the planning process.
- All accommodation requests will be provided serious consideration. No person will be penalized for making an accommodation request.