The HIROC Just Culture and Patient Safety Culture Award
This award was established with the generous support of the Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC), the insurer for Ontario midwives. It recognizes students of the Midwifery Education Program’s commitment to “just culture” and/or “patient safety culture”. Just culture and patient safety culture are terms that refer to the culture of healthcare organizations that support teamwork and the delivery of safe care. The criteria were determined based on priorities identified by the MEP, IMPP, the AOM and HIROC.
This award was first offered in 2019.
$1,650 for one student from each of the three sites of the Midwifery Education Program.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate student in the Midwifery Education Program
- Have clear Academic Standing with no disciplinary notices on file
- Be a Canadian citizen, or a landed immigrant, or a protected person; and a resident of Ontario
- Have completed at least one inter-professional placement in the Midwifery Education Program
- Have not received a HIROC Just Culture and Patient Safety Culture Award previously
Priority will be given to students who are Indigenous/ racialized and/or have financial need.
The student must submit proof of academic eligibility. One letter of support for the student’s application from a member of the midwifery community must accompany the application. The student must also include a reflective essay of no more than 500 words on just culture and/or patient safety culture, which may include reflections on how teamwork, communication, collaboration, and midwife well-being may support safe healthcare.
This award will be granted in the autumn every year.
The deadline for applications for this year is October 18/19.
Recipients of this award will be decided by the Board of Directors of the Association of Ontario Midwives, by recommendation of the Quality, Insurance and Risk Management Committee.